Spending on digital marketing is ever increasing with the UK’s total digital ad spend in 2019 increasing by 13% to £7.3bn according to the IAB UK. Search continues to account for a significant percentage of total digital ad spend with it accounting for 50.6% in 2019.
In light of the increasing levels of spend, it has never been more important for businesses to make the most of their digital marketing budgets and avoid digital marketing mistakes where possible.
Top 5 Digital Marketing Mistakes
In our article, we explore the top 5 digital marketing mistakes that we encounter when we work with businesses.
Mistake 1: Not Knowing Your Target Audience
It is very difficult to target your ideal clients/customers without knowing them. You need to know where they spend their time online and offline, what their hobbies and interests are and what they like and dislike. Rushing into a digital marketing campaign without considering your target audience will almost always result in poor results and wasted budget.
In many cases not knowing your target audience will result in campaigns that use the wrong marketing channels with an ineffective message. It is also common to see campaigns that target all marketing channels rather than a selection of channels that appeal to your target audience.
How To Get To Know Your Target Audience
Getting to know your target audience is easier than you might think. Follow our easy four step process for getting to know your target audience:
- Step One: Carry out an audit of all your existing customers/clients and categorise them into groups
- Step Two: Identify where your customer/client groups are active and target these channels
- Step Three: Consider how you can appeal to your customers/clients interests and requirements
- Step Four: Build your digital marketing campaigns around your groups, channels, interests and requirements
Mistake 2: Failing To Measure Your Results
Surprisingly failing to measure results is a very common issue for businesses that are undertaking digital marketing campaigns. Whether they fail to consider and develop a measurement plan or incorrectly setup their analytics and measurement tools both scenarios end in the same outcome – having no data to measure progress and judge what is working well and what is not working in your digital marketing activities.
The high number of digital marketing channels and tracking options certainly contribute to the failure to measure results as this often creates a lengthy and highly technical setup process that can discourage businesses from securing their digital marketing measurement system at the start of a campaign. The expertise of a Hampshire digital marketing agency such as VIP IT can be invaluable in ensuring that tracking options are setup correctly and that valuable data is captured from the start of a campaign.
Ultimately it will be impossible for your business to respond to data and evolve its digital marketing efforts to achieve digital marketing success.
How To Measure Your Digital Marketing Results
You can have a robust and functional digital marketing measurement setup by following our four step process for measuring your results:
- Step One: Carry out an audit of all your marketing platforms, identify which platforms you are using
- Step Two: Identify which platforms have tracking code, pixels or other measurement options
- Step Three: Install the tracking codes/pixels on your website or seek help from a digital marketing company
- Step Four: Test your tracking codes/pixels using testing tools or perform a manual test
Mistake 3: Not Updating Your Website Regularly
When you are busy running your business with many daily tasks that take up your time, updating your company website can often fall down your priority list. However, would it still be low on your priority list if you knew that customers may get the impression that your business is closed? A staggering 38% of people will stop engaging with a website if the content/layout is unattractive or out of date according to Adobe, thus creating an impetus to ensure that your website is attractive and up to date.
Updating your website is as easy as adding new content and blogs to show that your company is active and ready for new business. This will also help your business to win the favour of search engines including Google and Bing resulting in higher keyword rankings, more organic traffic and ultimately a higher number of enquiries and sales.
Updating your website does not just end with the content that your visitors can see. Many modern websites also rely on a content management system (CMS) to manage its pages, blogs, layout and functionality. These CMS platforms such as WordPress require regular updates to remain secure and functional so they continue to work for you and your business. WordPress for example has three main types of updates: core, theme and plugin. Not completing any one of these update categories has the potential to compromise the security of your website or impact its functionality.
How To Update Your Website Regularly
Updating your business website regularly requires careful planning and consideration. Our four steps are a great starting point towards maintaining a website with fresh and relevant content.
- Step One: Review your website and identify pages that require new content
- Step Two: Brainstorm ideas for future blog topics by reviewing competitor websites and considering problems faced by your clients
- Step Three: Develop a content plan and set target dates for updating website pages and posting blog articles
- Step Four: Commit time to revisiting your website content and updating your CMS if your website uses one
Mistake 4: Skipping Keyword Research
Keywords have never been more important to the success or failure of a business website. They remain a key part of SEO management and PPC marketing and are an important starting point from which great successful campaigns can grow.
Each page or blog article on your website should be created with a focus keyword and a series of associated keywords in mind. This provides a focus for your content and ensures that your page or blog is worthwhile and of interest to potential customers. The value of your selected keywords will vary considerably depending on their traffic and level of competition.
Skipping keyword research will result in you missing key trends in your sector/industry and not understanding your competitors which reveals key insights that will help you gain a competitive edge.
How To Complete Valuable Keyword Research
Completing keyword research will provide firm foundations to base your digital marketing campaigns on. Our four steps to great keyword research will help you get started:
- Step One: Use keyword research tools such as Google Trends or Google Keyword Planner to identify valuable keywords for your business
- Step Two: Make a list of valuable keywords and order them by search volume
- Step Three: Review your website and identify if you have existing pages that you can pair with your new valuable keywords
- Step Four: Optimise your existing pages that you have paired with keywords and create new pages for any remaining keywords
Mistake 5: Failing To Test Ideas & Experiment
Digital marketing success relies on on-going testing and experimenting with new ideas and techniques to gain a competitive edge and outperform your competition. If you set and forget your campaigns you are significantly increasing the likelihood of failure and the potential to waste campaign budget. The most successful campaigns are innovative and forward-thinking, for your business to get the most out of digital marketing testing and experimenting are essential.
Once you are testing, experimenting and measuring the results and outcomes your business will be well on its way to digital marketing success. According to Hubspot, A/B testing can be valuable because all audiences behave differently and something that works for one company may not necessarily work for another. Using A/B testing will help your company find out what is working well and what is not working so you can improve your campaigns.
If you start testing your website and its landing pages you will be in good company. The Digital Marketing Institute found that 52% of companies test their website’s landing pages to find ways to improve conversions. Start testing and experimenting today to get ahead of your competitors.
How To Test And Experiment With Your Digital Marketing
Testing and experimenting with your digital marketing will uncover valuable new insights and accelerate your progress. Get started with our four helpful steps:
- Step One: Identify areas for improvement in your digital marketing activities
- Step Two: Consider how you could test a new idea and experiment to improve your performance, think: layout, design, graphics or text
- Step Three: Add your experiment to your marketing activities and measure the results against your previous ideas
- Step Four: Review the results of your experiment, if they are positive add the experiment into your activities, if not start again at step one
Want To Avoid Or Resolve Digital Marketing Mistakes In Your Business?
VIP IT are ready to help your business avoid new digital marketing mistakes and resolve existing digital marketing mistakes. Contact our friendly team today on 01962 458 457 or email email@example.com. We also invite businesses who are considering working with a new digital marketing provider to book a free online consultation today.